Monday, March 6, 2017

Weekly Prompt Thoughts - Arisa White Workshop Week #4

Let's try a weekly prompt....Past Spiritual New The past weighs heavy we are told or I thought we have been told that, when I google that phrase I get a bunch of articles like "What really happens when women lift heavy weights" which makes me think that is no longer true. Though the phrase "heavy lies the crown" I thought was real too and it turns out to be a misquote of "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown" which is much better isn't it? That's Shakespeare for you. And then I turn to the idea of spiritual newness, re-birth I suppose. We think Spring don't we? Easter. Pagan sunrise ceremonies. And Spring is kind of brutal so it brings to mind "Nature, red in tooth and claw" from the poem In Memoriam A.H.H. by Tennyson (in iambic tetrameter) that is used as an illustration of natural selection though the poem was published ten years before Darwin put out his theory publicly. So we have all these impressions around literary phrases, it is well worth checking to see if your common knowledge is fake or real. Especially if we are going to quote them in our own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment