Saturday, March 18, 2017

Arisa Helps Me With My Poem Happiness

I have never been happy (no pun intended) with a poem I wrote maybe five years ago called Happiness. Arisa helped me in our tutorial session by making the poem more immediate and taking out what I think of as connective tissue much of the ideas which came from pseudo-mirroring a poem that I used as a prompt for this poem, Welcome, Fear by David Rivard. After taking Arisa's ideas for the material I found the form wasn't working. I tried couplets which didn't quite do it and went to the form below. It makes me happy with what I feel is subtle brokenness, close to what I felt in the original form but evolved. Here are the before and after poems side by side.


Happiness
After reading David Rivard’s Welcome, Fear

I am quite grateful that you
said  I can choose to be happy
or sad and I should choose happy
when I push the down elevator
button in the morning,
that elevator with the mirrors
on 4 sides that puts on ten pounds
and twenty years. To happily stride
out into a shit-filled city armed
with my own happy shit-eating grin.
And that is my path to enlightenment,
no need for hope or love or even
striving for anything other than
making a single choice. Easy to say,
maybe easy to do but what am I
supposed to do when I want
someone to wake up beside me?
It’s not hard, not impossibly difficult,
a relief even, at least in this moment,
to recall a blonde curl against
your face on Sunday mornings, the sun
just a suggestion beneath
the window blinds, as you went
from sleep to wake, your lids
fluttered and then opened,
the cornflower blue of your eyes
just visible in the dusky bed beside me.
And my hands began, my mouth
against yours, the first true pebble
dropped into an unbelievable deep pond.

Now there is no sun, no window blind,
no blonde curl. And its not like I thought
it was going to go on forever.  But it’s more
like you have gone off menu and chosen
happy while I’m still staring at two pages
full of really fucked up choices.
A story we once told each other, now
has the ending gone but the middle
is missing too. I know it’s you not me.
Or I think I’m supposed to know that.
But you know it’s really like I’m standing
up the driveway, the porch light off,
trying to find the keyhole and failing
again and again.  Would be nice
if someone would just flick a switch. Nice
even if someone could.
Happiness

In that elevator with mirrors
on four sides that puts
on ten pounds and twenty
years, I’m grateful you said
I can choose to be happy or
sad, I stride out into a shit-filled
city armed with my own happy
shit-eating grin. But
                              what am I
supposed to do when I want
someone to wake up

beside me?
                 A blonde curl against
your face on Sunday
mornings, the sun
beneath the window blinds,
your lids fluttered then
opened and there was
the cornflower blue
of your eyes.
                    My mouth against
yours, the first pebble
dropped into an
unbelievably placid
pond.
        
         It’s not that I thought
it would go on forever.
You go off menu
and choose happy
while I stare at two pages
of fucked-up choices.
The middle of our
story is gone.
                     I’m standing up
the driveway, the porch light
off,  trying to find
the keyhole and failing.
I want someone
to flip the switch on.

1 comment:

  1. This structure for the new version feels perfect. Good work here!

    ReplyDelete