Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Dialogue Prompt

This poem is a response to the prompt "write a dialogue", It's something I wrote earlier this school year but took the prompt as an invitation to edit it further


After A Walk By Lake Merritt

She says she thinks it’s more about what we are called by,
some confusion about the politics themselves,
how mothers sometimes think the opposite or go by feelings,
she says she’s given up telling people what to do.
It’s one thing to feel sad it’s another to talk non stop about it, she says, something
I need to keep in mind I think.
I say like the Stones said “You can’t always get what you want but if you try sometime you get what you need”
She says I think I know the song but not that lyric.
She says she hates the bare hills, they make her feel claustrophobic. 
And in the sky above Oakland a super moon which the internet says won’t occur again for almost twenty years but we both remember the internet saying a similar thing a few months ago and we both know the rain is coming not long from now, we can tell. 
We stop.  Look at the moon. She’s thinking about when she’ll see it again like that. I’m thinking I’ll be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment